While the information presented is accurate as of the date of publication, it should not be cited or relied upon as legal authority. It is highly recommended that legal advice be obtained from a bankruptcy attorney. Please also refer to the United States Bankruptcy Code (title 11, United States Code) , the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure, the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and the Local Bankruptcy Rules for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Finally, if you do not understand terms used in these questions and responses, many of them are defined in Bankruptcy Basics issued by the Administrative Office of the Courts.
The Court staff cannot give legal advice under Title 28 U.S.C. Section 955.
The Clerk's office CANNOT
- Explain the meaning of a particular rule
- Give an interpretation of case law
- Explain the result of taking or not taking action in a case
- Tell you whether jurisdiction is proper in a case
- Tell you whether a complaint properly presents a claim
- Provide advice on the best procedure to accomplish a particular goal
- Apply a Rule or Statute
- Explain who should receive proper notice or service